Thursday 23 March 2017

Could Papa, Actually Get The Moon?

At the weekend, I watched an animation of 'Papa, Please Get The Moon For Me' for the first time. As I watched it with my own children at home, it struck a chord with me as my class are currently studying a unit in science about the Earth, Sun, Moon and our Solar System. So, today, I played the animation for my class. After I'd played it, I played it a second time and asked the children to write down anything in the video they thought was fictional rather than scientific fact.



Made with Padlet

In future years, I might use this task as a pre and post assessment. What do they think is fictional before some teaching and then afterwards. Nice story, nice animation and some good science learning...

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely activity and such a unique way to carry out an elicitation activity! It Is so important to understand what children already know before moving forward and I have definitely never seen it done in this way. Have you considered doing something similar for guided reading? Using an image and posing three questions: What do you know? What do you want to know? What do you think will happen next? Using Blooms Taxonomy (Airasian, 2000) to support higher order thinking.

    Airasian, P.W. (2000) A taxonomy for learning, teaching, and assessing: A revision of bloom’s Taxonomy of educational objectives. Edited by Lorin W. Anderson and David R. Krathwohl. New York: Addison-Wesley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we can be useful. Will try out your suggestion.

      Delete